Anyone growing gardens this year?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anyone growing gardens this year?

Post  Stoney Creek on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:38 pm

Here is one of my gardens...this is our experiment with companion gardening. Corn, beans and squash. Corn uses nitrogen from the soil, the beans replace it. corn grows tall, beans need a trellis. no one like to weed, squash blocks light from the weeds and also holds moisture, lessens evaporation...So we'll see how it goes.

Stoney Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  mochicken on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:54 am

I thought about planting corn but never get around to it lol
mochicken

Back to top Go down

Post  James Marie Farms on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:09 am

Companion planting is becoming a lost art...so many people don't understand the benefits of planting flowers with vegetables and grouping beneficial vegetables together...
even though my career started in Architectural Design and working for my fathers construction company....I changed my profession at 20 yrs old to do what I wanted and became a Landscape Contractor and Designer for the past 30 years ....after the three back surgeries I scaled the Landscape back and took the family farm commercial....but nature is in my blood.....guess that's why I live in a treehouse... bounce 

I could type all day about the benefits for us - soil - and nature for companion planting as well as crop rotation....people will plant certain things in the same spot year after year and 3-5 years down the road say I don't know why my garden doesn't do well anymore....the easy way to explain it is ....one plant using certain trace minerals and others release them .....move stuff around and amendments to your soil and notice the change....fertile soil is not just dirt but has living organisms .....kill all the organisms with pesticides and chemicals and remove all the trace minerals and your left with dirt ...

Read this quick list to understand why your grandparents and great grandparents had flowers in their gardens....my grandmother use to say ..."I plant flowers so I can eat my vegetables"

http://www.pallensmith.com/articles/pest-control-plants
James Marie Farms

Back to top Go down

Post  mochicken on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:28 am

Wow thanks for sharing, always interested in learning more about sustainable gardening
mochicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Stoney Creek on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:00 am

Robby, so true! Thanks for the link too, it is an awesome read.

My wife is the green thumb of our family, she does the research on what to plant with what and when...I'm used for manual labor, lol. We too, don't believe in chemicals, use all natural like "Neem oil", as well as the flowers that repel critters. Carrots and tomatoes are also good together because each plant repels insects that like the other.

Our soil is terrible, but with compost bird poo and mixed-in organics like oak leaves cooked for a year or so produces a fine black soil we mix in our gardens. We also rabbit poo. It does not need to be composted, it can go straight from the rabbit's butt to the garden and be beneficial, no burning of plants...also we make a rabbit poo tea to water with.

Stoney Creek

Back to top Go down

Post  James Marie Farms on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:29 pm

Rabbit manure is awesome to mix into your garden soil....benefits for root crops are amazing....

Now.....let's think about this a little.....for the people who don't have access to rabbit droppings.....
What can they do to get the same results....
All we are doing when we use rabbit dropping is adding the base ingredient of the feed rabbits are eating...of course with the added benefit that the rabbits stomach has composted it for us ready to use...

So what is it ? ....... "ALFALFA"

I've used Alfalfa in gardens and flower beds for years....I like to add it on top of the soil (about 1" )and then cover it with pine bark mulch (about 2")....let nature do the rest....as it rains and you water you get the alfalfa tea....then at the end of the season you work the decomposed alfalfa and mulch into the soil and you have organic material ....

Also Alfalfa has so many other benefits and ways to use it....

http://learningandyearning.com/10-benefits-of-using-alfalfa-in-your-garden
James Marie Farms

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:08 am

Rooster lee if your wanting some starts let me know. Ps I have a town in is named after my dads side of the family. NORTON lol. In MISSOURI the norton grape was invented by my great great grand pappy

Back to top Go down

Post  RoosterLew on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:03 am

Tammy N wrote:Rooster lee if your wanting some starts let me know. Ps I have a town in is named after my dads side of the family.  NORTON lol. In MISSOURI the norton grape was invented by my great great grand pappy
Just saw this...Yeah I'd love some starts...do they come with instructions? LOL
My girlfriend has the green thumb....Mines more greased black, lol.
But I seem to have good luck growin' stuff with instructions!!

We tried Grapes twice now, but I think we planted them too early this year, and when we were in town I raised 2 vines for a year, just had good grapes on them when the neighbors son picked them all, and a week later he let their dogs into our yard and no more vines!
RoosterLew

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:51 am

Rooster I have rooted nice starts I have no addy to send the too

You can pm me. I won't bite. May share it with a few hookers . But I won't bite.

Anyway these are nice 8 month old ready for the ground had some with grapes on them but birds got them already so. I'll send them rooted and USPS I just need a place for them to go .

thumb1 

Back to top Go down

Post  Tammy N on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Starting winter crop seeds
Winter squash,garlic for spring,some cauliflower,broccoli ,carrots,chard,more celery ,ruttabeggas not sure what else I can grow here just learning the winter crop stuff.
We get down to 35 for maybe a week scattered hail if we are lucky.

Tammy N

Back to top Go down

Post  RoosterLew on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:42 pm

Guest wrote:Rooster I have rooted nice starts I have no addy to send the too

You can pm me. I won't bite. May share it with a few hookers . But I won't bite.

Anyway these are nice 8 month old ready for the ground had some with grapes on them but birds got them already so. I'll send them rooted and USPS I just need a place for them to go .

thumb1 
PM Sent
Thanks a million!!
RoosterLew

Back to top Go down

Post  Tammy N on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 am

Rooster check I can't send them its illegal with out a certification

Sorry I thought it be easy but I ain't one to go to jail. Not for plants ohshit 

Tammy N

Back to top Go down

Post  RoosterLew on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:01 am

That fingers!
Well TY for trying
RoosterLew

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisW on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:54 pm

I just had my second harvest of SUMMER squash today, weird year. I planted them about may 1st. Tomatoes did nothing, cucks still coming (usually over mid July). Beets did nothing (several plantings). I've got the biggest green pepper plants I have ever had but almost no peppers. And next to them my Eggplant hasnt grown since June ( pencil stalk and 3-4 leaves). I just checked my potatoes, got tons, all the size of peanuts? Spring collards went strait to seed. But I am getting summer squash IN SEPTEMBER???

good thing I have a grocery store nearby, otherwise i'd have scurvy before spring!

ChrisW

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleBit on Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:53 am

[quote="Guest"]I just have a Small Garden all Organic non Gmo
No Corn none of my seeds made it here they where organic from norway
this is why i need more land I cant grow enough to feed us here

Rhubarb,tomatoes,potatoes in pots,grapes,apples,oranges,bananas,beans " scarlet runners " come back every yr,squash Garlic, and onions 4 types of each ,egg plant,peppers,artichokes and asparagus. and for figaro sunflower seeds.
here just a couple photos

Tammy, I've been meaning to ask.....the upright bush with large green leaves and yellow blossoms.....is that a squash and if it is, what kind is it? I've never had luck with squash. Stem borers always get mine, but this plant seems to grow more like a bush, not vine on the ground.
LittleBit

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleBit on Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:18 pm

While everyone is hunting Easter eggs, I've been busy planting..........2 types of cucumbers (1 for pickling), 3 types of tomatoes, and 2 types of peppers.....waiting to hear from Sis about squash plants.........We have had a beautiful day.....hope you all have too.........

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

LittleBit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top